What to Do When Death Occurs
When a death occurs in your family important tasks and decision-making during a very difficult time is required.
The Curley Funeral Home staff is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to assist you with the details
and offer guidance. The following list will help guide you through the steps you will need to take when a
death has occurred.
After a death has occurred, notify Curley Funeral Home by calling 708-422-2700. The following are some
questions that we may ask when you call:
- What is the full name of the deceased?
- What is the location of the deceased (Hospital, Nursing Facility or Residence)?
- What is your name, address and telephone number?
- What is the name, address and phone number of the next-of-kin?
- Is there a pre-arranged funeral plan?
We will then set an appointment time for you to come to the funeral home to complete the details of
the funeral arrangement. We will ask you to gather information and bring in some items that will be
necessary to complete the arrangement. These items will include:
- Information needed:
- The deceasedís social security number
- The deceased's date and place of birth
- The deceased's fatherís & motherís full name
- Information about the deceased's education
- Marital status of the deceased
- Items to bring to your appointment:
- Burial clothing (full dress, including all undergarments, shoes are optional)
- Recent photograph of deceased (for hairdresser, newspaper, prayer cards, etc.)
- Eyeglasses, dentures, jewelry, religious symbols (cross, rosary, etc.)
- Other family pictures of deceased from young to present day to be displayed at the service
- Veteran's discharge papers (Form D.D. 214)
- Life Insurance Policies (We will help file the insurance as an added service)
- Cemetery lot information
- Items to consider for service:
- The desired day and time of the funeral service
- A minister for the service
- Special music for the service (cassette tapes, CDís, or live vocal selections)
- A list of pallbearers with their phone numbers
- A list of the deceasedís club or civic group memberships
- A list of the deceasedís special interests or hobbies that they enjoyed
- An appropriate charity to which memorial contribution gifts can be made (church, cemetery fund, hospice, or school)
In Association with T. P. Kerrigan Funeral Directors